Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Review: Pulse: Beneath the Sanguine Moon

Pulse: Beneath the Sanguine Moon (Pulse, #1)
Pulse: Beneath the Sanguine Moon
By: Shannon Francisco

Ebook: 218 pages
Publisher: Createspace
ISBN:  9781477485040
Source: author for honest review
Genre: Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy
Series: Pulse #1
Stars:4
Flames: 1

Summary from Goodreads
Every relationship has its ups and downs, though typically this is just a figure of speech. When Skylar Roth finds her boyfriend levitating in his sleep, the phrase takes on a whole new meaning.

Skylar realizes that bailing would be the most logical move to make in this situation - but let's face it, superhuman boyfriends are all the rage! Had Sky kept up on her brother's Spider-Man comic book collection like she had the Kardashians, maybe she would understand that, "With great power comes great responsibility."

The couple's world quickly shifts when Alekz, Skylar's boyfriend, is shocked while trying to change a faulty fuse at his uncle's janky pizza joint. This unexpected blast opens a portal to another dimension, allowing an extra-dimensional being to come through. It may seem exciting, but when they are face to fangs with a malevolent creature, possessing these unversed supernatural abilities proves to be perilous for the couple - and the entire human race.


Review

Another new author found! I read this book in just a short time. It was an unusual and engaging read.  I give it 4 stars.
The plot of this story was different. I enjoyed the twists and turns in the storyline. The mystery behind Alekz’s levitation and the strange happenings was well thought out and planned. I liked the supernatural angle with the different creatures and the clan of hunters that take care of the various monsters. I also thought the comic books that were written were a good addition to the story.
The characters in this story were fun and lively. The back stories of the characters gave a better insight on what they had went through in the past. I feel that I got a good feel for the main characters as well as several of the secondary characters. I liked getting to know them and they came to life on the pages. The only thing I didn’t like about the characters was a lot of the dialogue was slang. The stories that Sage told were intriguing and his journals that were kept sound like a story all their own. I would like to know more about his journals.
The creatures in the story were described really well. I could picture them in my head and let’s just say that I would not want to meet any of these in a dark alley. Well, I wouldn’t want to meet them anywhere. LOL.
As for the ending this is all I have to say. WHAT!!! COME ON YOU CAN’T LEAVE ME HANGING LIKE THAT! I was pulling my hair out on this one. I hope the next one will tell us what was real and what was not?
All in all this was a good book and I would like to read the next in the series. I am curious if the next book will have the same characters or if it is going to be a completely new set of characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment