Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Review: Gerald's Game by: Stephen King (Audiobook)


Audio CD, CD’s
Published September 16th 2008 by HighBridge Audio (first published December 31st 1992)
ISBN 13: 9781598877649
Source: Purchased for self
Genre: Horror
Stars: 3

I am reviewing this based on the content of the book and the narrator of the audio book. I have to point out that the tones between each chapter (I assume they were between chapters, as the chapter numbers were never announced) were beyond annoying. They reminded me of those old cell phone tones that were sometime piercing. There are various tones, some less annoying than others.

From reading the synopsis readers know that Jessie gets handcuffed to the bed and eventually escapes. No spoilers there. She is alone and stuck in what at times is an impossible predicament and other times has you yelling at the CD player as to why she does some of the things that she does. I enjoyed her inner voices. She has twenty-eight hours where she is alone without any assistance.

I enjoyed the content that took place in the present. While cuffed to the bed she does some remembering of her past. Some of those memories got tiresome and made the story drag. There are reasons for the memories and they do assist her in her escape. The chapters immediately following her escape from the handcuffs is mind boggling. This is where both the Hub and I were talking to the CD player. I think my favorite part of the book was “Part 3.” This is where she begins Brandon’s tale. It explained much of the unexplained.

Overall I felt the book moved at a choppy pace. When I was enjoying the content it moved fast, then there would come a section that would leave me wanting Jessie to get back to the present or wanting Jessie to get out of her head. So there was fast paced, then a dragging section, then it picked back up again to what I felt was the more fascinating content.

The narrator was great. She voiced Jessie and all of the other characters well. There was never any confusion as to which character was speaking. Lindsay Crouse is an actress who has been in numerous television shows. She read Gerald’s Game excellently.






No comments:

Post a Comment