Friday, December 23, 2011

Review: One Second After by William R Forstchen


Paperback, 352 pages
Published November 24th 2009 by Doherty, Tom Associates, LLC
ISBN 13: 9780765327253
Source: Purchased for self
Genre: Apocalyptic
Stars: 5

I am positive that this is the scariest book I have ever read. I read plenty of very dark and twisty stuff. It is the realism of One Second After that makes it so frighteningly scary. Everything in this novel seems so real. This is due to the possibility that our world, my world could very well experience an EMP and no one would have any warning, but mostly the author really pulled all of my attention into these characters lives and into the small town life of Black Mountain.

I liked how the overall story was told. This book has an incredible flow. Once I started reading I could not put this book down. Forstchen covers some awfully scary potentials of how people would behave, how they would react, and what extremes they would go through to survive. Some of the horrific content is told by looking back upon key events by John, but some of it is laid out for the readers through characters telling of what had happened. I’ll be honest there are several scenes that brought tears to my eyes.    

John was a great character to read. He is by far not perfect. He makes several poor decisions throughout and reflects as he sees that something should have been done differently. I liked that he was flawed. His character is trying to do the very best for his family with very limited resources. I found One Second After to truly be amazing. I do believe it just took place of my 2011 favorite book.  

*** On a random side note, I have decided that this will be the Hub's next audio book. ***



1 comment:

  1. I very rarely step out of the romance genre but your review has certainly intrigued me. I might just have to pick this up, it sounds like it could be a compelling book.

    ReplyDelete