Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Review: Before the Fall by Sable Grace



eBook, 70 pages
Expected publication: November 8th 2011 by HarperCollins Publishers
ISBN 13: 9780062117588
Source: NetGalley, for the purpose of an honest review
Genre: Fantasy Romance
Series: Dark Breed #1.5
Best read in order: no
Stars: 4
Flames: 2

I know I say this often in novella reviews, but they really do work best for me when the couple knows each other from the beginning of the novella. That is the situation with Zach and Shanna. Although with a couple already knowing each other I am sometimes left with the feeling of they had to have ended their relationship for a reason why are they revisiting their past with a rekindle. That is not the case with this novella. The reason behind Shanna and Zach’s break up is tied into the story and works well with the flow of this novella and the romantic development of the story.

Zach was one of Ares sentinels. An injury left it difficult for him to continue with this line of work thus he took an early retirement from the Order of Ancients. The gates of Hell have begun breaking open and the Hell bound creatures are beginning to escape. Ares has called Zach back to duty. Zach can’t leave without Shanna. Shanna left Zach when he started telling her of a world filled with demons, lycans, vampires and numerous other evil beings. Now he has upped the ante by trying to protect her from these beings that she truly feels do not exist.

I really enjoyed reading the events that happened as the gates of Tartarus began to fall. Before the Fall can easily be read as a stand-alone. It can also be read before or after Ascension. Timeline wise, Before the Fall takes place the evening before Ascension begins. I highly recommend Grace’s Dark Breed series. Ascension is the only full length novel in the series thus far, but I am highly anticipating Bedeviled which will be in bookstores in late December.  

1 comment:

  1. This is a series that I think I have one of in my TBR pile on top of my shoes! I am definitely going to have to see if I do :)

    ReplyDelete