Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Review: True Believers by: Maria Zannini


Kindle Edition (buy link at Amazon)
Published October 18th 2010 by Carina Press
ASIN: B004322FCM
Source: Purchased for self
Genre: Sci Fi Romance
Stars: 4
Flames: 2

This is a strange review to write. As a whole I liked this book, the romance was meh for me (& I explain that in the following paragraph). I LOVE complex worlds, numerous plots and a large diverse group of characters. True Believers has that in spades. The twists and turns in this book could almost give the reader whip lash. Zannini kept me guessing right until the very end. Even at the end I was still sitting on the edge of my seat with an oh no you can’t do that expression on my face. The majority of this book takes place on modern day planet Earth. For the past three years a group of Alturian’s has been on Earth looking for the ancient gods their people still worship as true believers. Jessit and his team are hoping to find them and take them home. They are not so trustingly working with the US government. The US government is working alongside the Alturian’s with a completely different agenda. I have to admit there is more double crossing going on in this book than any other book I have ever read. The amazing thing is it is written so well that it never gets confusing or too heavy. The computers are even out to sabotage each other. Rachel is a Nephilim posing as an archeologist. The Nephilim are descendants of the gods the Alturian’s are looking for.

I had some issues with the romance. I’m big on the romantic pursuit. The chase was there for Jessit and Rachel initially. He was sweet in his wanting desire for her. He had even planned to toy with his “gift” some. Then his feeling towards her immediately changed when he found out she was different than he initially thought. At that point I saw the lustful chase change. Don’t get me wrong he still wanted her, but the fire smoldered. There was also two other characters present that ratcheted up the jealousy factor. Romance where a character is there for the purpose of jealousy aggravates me. One of the characters that caused much jealousy has a large supporting role, the other just added unneeded tension. I did like the extra connection that they had due to each possessing a na’hala.

Over all I liked the book. I will read more by this author. In fact Zannini has an apocalyptic series that I am dying to sink my teeth into!

***Alien penis has “penile tendrils” they are functioning tentacles. It is written tastefully and it’s hot.***

1 comment:

  1. Vanessa run do not walk to read A Touch of Fire and it's sequel Apocalypse Rising, you will enjoy the romance much more as it has more in that story line than the Sci-Fi romance did... But even though True Believers was a little lacking for you in the steam factor am glad you enjoyed it and are going to try more by Maria, she has a wonderful imagination and her works reflect how much thought she puts into utilizing it to the fullest!

    ReplyDelete