Monday, June 6, 2011

Review: Goddess of the Sea by P.C. Cast

Goddess of the Sea (Goddess Summoning, #1)

Paperback, 352 pages
Published October 7th 2003 by Berkley Sensation
ISBN13: 9780425192795
Series: Goddess Summoning #1
2 Stars
1 Flame (very mild and inexplicit sex scenes)

                Bored, intoxicated and mildly depressed birthday girl CC decides to embrace her inner Goddess and perform a ritual honoring a Goddess from one of her numerous college texts. Loving being worshipped as a Goddess is wont to do Gaea notices CC decides to give her some blessings. It’s great that CC has this, she soon finds herself in a plane, crashing into ocean and drowning, only to be given a mer-body and a brother who wishes to rape her. Gaea’s chooses to save CC from her brother’s very creepy affections by sending her to live on the land where she is to seek true love. Once she finds true love she will be allowed to live on the land (with legs, not a tail) happily ever after with her true love. Gaea sends CC to a monastery in 1014 AD. CC has to return to the sea every three nights to give her body to the sea. She is a sea creature and requires this to survive.
                CC meets Dylan a merman in the sea, the sea that she is fleeing. Dylan and CC have a very sweet love story. He wants her, has always wanted her and will always want her. They do not care that they are vastly different creatures. They are willing to go to any length to be together. There is a very sweet love story in this book. This is a love story that overcomes the unbelievable. The solution for them to be together is not as simple as CC returning to the sea. Her brother Sarpedon is the Sea Gods son. He has decided to claim her has his. Dylan knows that he cannot protect her from this no matter how much he wishes. The biggest hurdle that they must overcome so they may be together does not have an easily solution.
                I almost didn’t finish this book. Around the 100 page area I did something I have never done before. I skipped to the last 5 pages to see where the book was going. My interest was piqued enough to finish reading the book. I was very curious how the book I was reading got to that point. I recommend that anyone with any military knowledge skip reading this book. I was annoyed most by the female who is scared of flying in planes choosing a career in the Air Force, but there were other military issues that had me losing interest in the book. Pre-mer CC is an enormous contradiction that will make you want to scream. The first description of a mer-penis is extremely creepy, but I guess having a lower body that is a tail it had to come from somewhere. It was still very creepy though. I did not enjoy this book enough to continue on with the series.

1 comment:

  1. I am seeing mermaid stories popping up a lot lately. I absolutely love P.C. Cast. For some reason I just cannot get into mermaids, which when you look at it does not make much sense. I have enjoyed all number of UF characters - you name it I have probably read something about the beasty. I sometimes challenge myself and go out of my comfort zone, but I think I might pass on mermaids for now, as there are so many books out there that I would love to read. Thank you for sharing today, I enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete