Friday, June 3, 2011

ARC Review: Rebirth by Sophie Littlefield

Rebirth (Aftertime, #2)

Paperback, 384 pages
Expected publication: July 19th 2011 by Luna Books
ISBN 13: 9780373803392
Genre: Post-Apocalyptic Zombie
Source: Netgalley.com
Series: Aftertime #2
Stars: 4
Flames: 1
               
I love Cass Dollar. She is not a heroine I envy or want to be, but I love her strengths. She has will power, drive and a desire to see her daughter live and thrive in a world where that no longer seems like a possibility. Cass has been down many difficult roads in life, she has filled her life with numerous poor decisions and yet she still goes on. Rebirth picks up shortly after the end of Aftertime. Cass has her daughter Ruthie back. She is living at the Box with her lover Smoke, life is going extremely well considering all of the circumstances. All is well until the school where Cass initially met Smoke, was attacked and burned by the Rebuilders. The women and children are taken to Colima, the Rebuilder’s central command compound. Sammi, Dor's daughter is among the survivors that have been taken away.

This is a series that must be read in order. There was little to no rehashing in these pages. Rebirth is a whole new adventure. Smoke leaves Cass at the Box to go on a vengeance mission. Feeling betrayed she leaves the Box with Dor on the quest to rescue his daughter. After reading Aftertime I was left with a feeling that the Rebuilders most likely had their own agenda in the scheme of things in this After World. These people are beyond twisted. The atrocities that they are putting humans through for their own maniacal narcissistic reasons are pure craziness. The readers are given much more Dor in this book. He is a fascinating character. Just when you think that Dor does the things he does for his own advancement and purposes he shows a different side of himself. He is a very caring man and a loving father. I enjoyed getting to know his character better.
I will continue reading this series. I’m very eager to see where the author takes Cass and the other passengers she has in the van at the end of the book. My complaints for this book are weak and personal whiney complaints. Rebirth moved at a much slower pace than Aftertime. The action scenes are fast paced and intense, but some of the in between time dragged. There is a cliffhanger ending. I hate these. This is why I like to read series that have been out for some time and there are numerous books to answer all of my unanswered questions. My other complaint was the sex. I know this is Cass and her behavior towards men due to her past. It just felt like raw, dirty sex to me. The romance aspect was missing. I don’t want to give away a spoiler, but considering the sex scenes of the book there should have been a lack of romance. (no rape was involved, very willing participants) This book is not a romance, thus this is really just a whiney complaint on my part.

1 comment:

  1. I just finished this book and I thought it was amazing. It really resonated with me... more than the 1st book did. The raw sex was just another way we see how terribly broken Cass is, in the wake of Smoke's abandonment. I felt gutted, myself, when he left, which speaks volumes about Littlefield as an author. It was just outstanding!

    Jen at Red Hot Books

    ReplyDelete