Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Review of Burning Up (anthology)

Burning Up (Includes: Iron Seas, Prequel; Children of the Sea, #3.5; Psy/Changeling #8.5)


Mass Market Paperback, 350 pages
Published August 3rd 2010 by Berkley
ISBN13: 9780425235959
Series: Psy-Changeling #8.5, Children of the Sea #3.5, Iron Seas 0.5
4 Stars
3 Flames (anthologies really are TOO short)

Whisper of Sin by Nalini Singh (homepage): I am one of those people that when I am reading a series I follow it order, including all anthologies. I do not want to miss anything. This one can be read anywhere in the series. The readers a given the back story to Ria, Lucas’s office administrator at Dark River Constructions headquarters. This story takes place before the first book. The readers learn how Ria came to be Lucas’s employee and how she meet her Changeling mate Emmett.
Blood and Roses by Angela Knight (homepage): I really need to read her books. I have read a hand full of short stories from various anthologies by Knight. She always delivers a great original sexy love story. As far as I can tell this is not part of any series. Amaris is a Blood Rose who is being forced to help an evil wizard. She finds an ally in sexy vampire Raniero.
Shifting Sea by Virginia Kantra (homepage): This short story can be read at any point in the Children of the Sea series. It takes place in 1812 Scotland. Morwenna is of the fin folk. She is trying to prove to her twin brother Morgan that she is capable of living on her own, out of the ocean. Jack has just returned, scared from battle to take his inheritance of a distant relative’s estate.
Here There Be Monsters by Meljean Brook (homepage): This story will make any reader kick themselves for not reading Brook’s Iron Seas series sooner! This is by far the best short story in the book. I loved the world she created. No one seems to be an unaltered human in it. Many characters have mechanical limbs or nanoagents living in their bodies. I cannot wait to read how fascinating this world will be in a full length book.

2 comments:

  1. Vanessa this one is still on my wishing to read list, however now that I have read your review and it reminded me that three of my favorite authors have stories in it maybe that will help bump it up to waiting to be read on my To be Read shelves soon!

    I am glad to hear that the PSY-Changeling story can be read out of order especially, hate it when I miss a series story in an anthology and then find out it comes in between books I have not read yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this anthology. I am not usually into Anthologies or shorts but it gave me the opportunity to read a couple of authors I hadn't read yet. Thanks for sharing the book - it reminded me to read them at some point! <a href="http://fangswandsandfairydust.com”)> Fangs, Wands and Fairy Dust</a>
    @fangswandsfairy

    ReplyDelete