Monday, May 30, 2011

Review: The Down Home Zombie Blues by: Linnea Sinclair


Mass Market Paperback, 516 pages
Published November 27th 2007 by Bantam
ISBN13: 9780553589641
Source: Purchased for self
Genre: Science Fiction (with tiny bit of Romance)
Stars: 2
Flames: 1

                I love zombies. That is the #2 reason I picked this book up. The #1 reason was SciFi Romance. I love romance and I love sci fi, I was so excited about reading a combination of the two. I was disappointed. This book fell short on both of those fronts for me. When I think of zombies I think of a dead reanimated corpse. The zombies in this book are not of that nature. These were created by a technologically advanced humanoid alien race. They are mechanical. This SciFi adventure also takes place in present day Florida. I suppose I want my sci fi set in a futuristic place far from planet Earth.
                The romance in this book was weak. I never felt a romantic connection between the hero and heroine. Jorie Mikkalah spent well over three quarters of the book having doubts about the hero Theo Petrakos’s ability as a living being to accomplish anything. There was an expected language barrier. It was not sexy. I have read sexy language barriers. This is not one of them. The language barrier added to the rudeness that was Jorie’s personality. Jorie was very short with Theo. She believed him to be ignorant of all things and even after he had proved himself capable numerous times she still doubted his abilities as a law enforcement official. Jorie would keep pertinent information from him due to the fact that she believed he was not intelligent enough to understand. The sex scenes were non explicit and mostly hidden. It was mentioned they had sex, but no details. I never connected with them as a couple, thus did not understand how or why they fell in love with each other.
                I will read more books from this author. I am hoping that this book was just a miss for me. I enjoyed the SciFi aspect of this book. Sinclair writes good SciFi. I’ve read entirely too many good reviews raving on her Romantic SciFi books not to give her books another shot. I am also looking forward to meeting her at Reader and Author Get Together.  

No comments:

Post a Comment