Friday, April 15, 2011

Review: Children of Scarabaeus by Sara Creasy


Children of Scarabaeus (Scarabaeus, #2)

Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Published March 29th 2011 by Harper Voyager
ISBN13: 9780061934742
Genre: Sci Fi
Series: Scarabaeus #2 of 2
4 Stars
2 Flames

     I had many different expectations going into this book than when I started reading Song of Scarabaeus. For some unknown reason I had the impression that it was a Sci Fi Romance, which it is not. Thus when I started the second book in the series I was expecting a Sci Fi, without romance. I know this does not change the content of the book. I also know that it is some mental thing that probably only affected me. I was very pleased with Children. I love where this book went. I LOVED what was actually going on with the planet Scarabaeus. I had some ideas that worked out very well in my guesstamation. I was thrown for a complete shocker when this book unfolded the truths in a very climatic end. This is part of a series and I must stress that due to the fact that this book picks up where the first left off, do not attempt to read this as a stand-alone or out of order.

    I find that the Crib treatment of Edie and Finn to be horrific. They are continually treated as slaves with little to no opinion on what they get to pursue for their lives. Edie is being forced yet again to work for the evil and controlling Natesa. Natesa at first seems to be the lesser of the two evils demanding Edie's impeccable cypherteck skills to work for them. There is now a different member of the Crib wanting Edie to work with his Weapons Research Division. Edie does not want any part of weapons research. Edie and Finn still have their minds set on escaping so that they can use the cryptoglyph to free the Fringe planets from relying on the Crib's assistance. They are continually dealing with the stresses of the leash that not only binds them, but unceasingly puts Finn's life in danger. Edie and Finn soon discover that their escape is not going to be easy when they have to rescue the children that Natesa has now enslaved into cyphertecks. I like the characters in this series. Edie and Finn have been through so much in their lives. I enjoyed the trust hurdles. The events that they have been through in their short time together affect every decision they make. They always seem more concerned with the others welfare more than their own. This makes for great relationship between these two characters.     I found the planet Scarabaeus fascinating. The planet has done an astonishing amount of evolving since the end of the first book. The factors as to the whys hold entirely too many spoilers to even begin mentioning. Read the book! At times the planet seems like it holds the answers for solving all of the BRAT problems, on the other hand you can see where it seems that this planet holds secrets that could cause the destruction of an entire galaxy.

***I won this book from Dangerous Romance Blog (go check her out!)***

No comments:

Post a Comment