Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Review: Deliver Me from Darkness by Tes Hilaire


Mass Market Paperback, 1st Edition, 323 pages
Published February 7th 2012 by Sourcebooks Casablanca
ISBN 13: 9781402264344
Source: Purchased for self
Genre: Fantasy/Paranormal Romance
Stars: 4
Flames: 3

There are several aspects of books that can quickly grab my attention and make me love it a little more than I expected. Deliver Me from Darkness delivers several of these. There are a couple of characters that seem to walk the fine line of good, with the potential to do evil. I love those types of characters. They always add some mystery and tension to the book. I was also given a being I’ve never read before, Paladin’s. I found the history of the Paladin Warriors fascinating. I also liked how they can have pairings, bonds, and mates and how each is something different for the couple.

One thing that really annoys me in most books set in present time is a virgin over the age of twenty two. I just have not figured out how someone who is twenty four has kept her virginity, yet Karissa has. She was not held prisoner, nor was she kept completely hidden from the world. She also was a bit overly eager to lose it once she decided Roland was not the killer monster she initially ran from.

Roland had the ability to appear a bit clichéd at times with the ‘I have no soul you can do better than me’ bit. Other than that I really liked Roland. He was easy to connect to. He still suffers from the guilt that is associated with his fall from Paladin to his current vampire status. The circumstances behind his fall are tragic, thus the guilt is completely understandable. I loved his initial OCD, germaphobe reaction to Karissa being in his apartment.

Overall I really enjoyed this book. It has a nice blend of fantasy, paranormal, and romance. The sexual content of the romance is minimal. Readers are introduced to several of the Paladin’s and I am looking forward to where Tes takes her readers with them. I will definitely move on with the series. I enjoyed the world, the characters were very interesting and I was left with a couple of questions pertaining to a specific character and I just have to find out what happens there. 



No comments:

Post a Comment