Friday, August 24, 2012

Book Review: The Kure by Jaye Frances

The Kure
The Kure
By: Jaye Frances
Ebook: 318 pages
Publisher: Createspace
ISBN: 9781466262966
Source: author for an honest review
Genre: Dark Historical Fantasy
Series: Yes
Stars: 4
Flames: 2
Summary from Goodreads
"In vain thou shall use many medicines, but thou shalt not be kured. And even though you search for a virgin to lay upon her balm, there is no healing for you. You multiply your remedies in vain as your cries fill the earth, and you will stumble, one over the other, and both will fall down together." - The Book of Eternal Regret

John Tyler, a young man in his early twenties, awakens to find a ghastly affliction taking over his body. When the village doctor offers the conventional, and potentially disfiguring, treatment as the only cure, John tenaciously convinces the doctor to reveal an alternative remedy—a forbidden ritual contained within an ancient manuscript called the Kure.

Although initially rejecting the vile and sinister rite, John realizes, too late, that the ritual is more than a faded promise scrawled on a page of crumbling paper. And as cure quickly becomes curse, the demonic text unleashes a dark power that drives him to consider the unthinkable—a depraved and wicked act requiring the corruption of an innocent soul.

Ultimately, John must choose between his desperate need to arrest the plague that is destroying his body, and the virtue of the woman he loves, knowing the wrong decision could cost him his life.

This book is best suited for a Mature YA/New-Adult or Adult reader. For more information and background about the dark historical practices that inspired the story, visit my website link below:

http://www.jayefrances.com/The_Kure


Review

Out of the three books of Jaye’s that I have read so far this is more the type of book that I mainly read. It is an adult story with dark overtones. I would not recommend this book for anyone who is squeamish due to some descriptions contained within. I give the book 4 stars.
The story was interesting. I can't wait to hear more on this dark tale. I admit the details of the main characters affliction’s description was gross but you also needed to know about it to know how desperate of a situation he was in. The only problem I had in the story was the storyline kind of lost me with all the descriptions and build up for a few pages in the middle of the story. I found myself skimming that part and then had to make myself re-read it.
The characters are wonderfully written and I can’t really blame John for some of his decisions given how desperate he was. John set out looking for a way to be cured and ended up finding a woman he found himself falling in love with but with decisions made and The Kure to deal with we are unclear by the end of the book if they will be together and all will be forgiven or not. Sarah is a very strong character also and I admire how much she wanted to help even when most people would have ran the other way.
As I am no expert on this subject matter I can’t say for sure but the story felt that it was well researched and definitely well written by Jaye. I would like to read the next in the series to see what happens with John and Sarah and also what payment will be demanded for using The Kure.

No comments:

Post a Comment