Friday, July 13, 2012

Review: Manhunt by Lillie Spencer


eBook, 190 pages
Published May 1st 2012 by Tulipe Noire Press
ISBN 13: 9780983979746
Source: Author, for the purpose of an honest review
Genre: Romantic Suspense
Stars: 3
Flames: 3

Michael and Nikki have been best friends since childhood and became each other’s first love. After some tragic events Michael walks away from her and she finds comfort in Sebastian whose eventual jealous causes him to abuse Nikki.

The book begins with Michael getting off work and finding out that Nikki has been abused by Sebastian and he goes tearing off to seek retribution. The next time we see him he is coming into the hospital and takes Nikki from her bed (she is awake and agrees to go) and goes on a road trip with her. Hence the title Manhunt. The first chapter really grabbed my attention as we follow Michael but it was only a few pages. After that it seemed the next 50 pages or so were kind of slow. I felt there were a lot of things mentioned that were unnecessary. For example, I did not feel like I had to go with the characters into a store and be there when they walked up and down the aisles shopping, not talking, and getting the details of all that they bought.

The rest of the first half of the book is a little slow to me as well. Nikki has amnesia and she and Michael talk a lot about the past or dreams that she has. I did like how when she had some dreams or flashbacks that they were written as if they were happening so we got to experience them first hand with Nikki instead of learning about them later.

I liked the characters overall. I did feel that Michael was almost too good to be true except for his temper. His dedication to Nikki seemed to know no bounds while she was a little stand offish at first. Of course that could come from the whole amnesia thing. Although once they overcame that and her memory started to come back I think that they were much better suited.

Overall I think it was a nice story. I did find myself more curious about the secondary characters as the story went on. I will be looking to see if Christian and Sophia have a story because he seemed like a very intriguing character and I would really enjoy reading about him more.


No comments:

Post a Comment