Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Book Review: Jack and Djinn by Amber Sweetapple

Jack and Djinn (The Houri Legends)
Jack and Djinn
By: Amber Sweetapple


eBook: 242 pages

Publisher: Amazon Digital Services
ISBN/ASIN: B0085H8DJA
Source: author for an honest review
Genre: Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy
Series: The Houri Legends Series
Stars: 5
Flames: 3

Summary from Goodreads
Miriam's life is a hot mess. Her boyfriend Ben is no longer the man she fell in love with, and he won't stop knocking her around. And Jack? He's kind, handsome, and sweet: everything she could ever want and more. As her passion for Jack ignites, so does the rest of her body...


Review


Oh my goodness! What can I say about this book except I absolutely loved it? I could not put it down. I read it as fast as I could so I could know how it would end. I give the book 5 stars.

The story is written in present and the past tense every other chapter so that you know the background and what is happening right now. It is a murder investigation as well as following Miriam’s life with Ben and how she met Jack. There are some occasions of Miriam getting beaten up and almost dying.
This was a well thought out story, paced just right with real to life elements that make it believable. Basically after years of building walls around herself, Miriam has to show the strength it takes to control what is happening with her as well as not shutting everyone out of her life. She also has to learn to believe in herself, Jack and her new friends. The ending of the story lets you know that there will be a sequel but didn’t end on a cliffhanger. Nevertheless I still can’t wait to read the next in the series.
The characters in this story are well written and lovable except Ben. You definitely learn to hate Ben. Miriam has had a hard childhood and even harder adult life. She is a survivor though. She starts out as a weaker character in this story but then you start to see her inner strength shine through. Miriam doesn’t stand up for herself and as a result Ben treats her terrible sometimes even beating her. Jack happens upon one of these beatings and stops it then takes Miriam away to get her cleaned up. She feels comfortable around him as he takes her out for food and starts looking for excuses to see him again. You slowly start to see some paranormal elements start to show up as Miriam interacts more and more with Jack. Jack was a very likable character as well as his grandpa.
I am anticipating the next in the series Djinn and Tonic. It will be drawing in more characters and sounds like it is building towards something bigger in a later book. I don’t want to say anymore because I will end up giving the book away and I hate doing that. I hope I haven’t given to much already with my gushing.


No comments:

Post a Comment