Saturday, June 23, 2012

Review: Midnight's Master by Donna Grant


eBook, 368 pages
Published May 22nd 2012 by St. Martin's Press
ISBN 13: 9781466814851
Source: Gift from Melissa at http://mimmismusings.blogspot.com/
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Stars: 5
Flames: 3

I think the first thing I need to point out is that this is the first book I have ever read by Donna. This is important because it is also a spin off from another series her Dark Sword series. I never picked up that series due to the fact that it is historical. When I heard that her Warriors were going to jump through time and have a spin off series set in present day I decided to give it a try. I’m glad I did. I can’t wait to read more about these Warriors and Druids. I even enjoyed the villains (more on that in a sec.)

Midnight’s Master is Logan’s book. If you followed her other series you’ve known him for some time. For newbies like me I met Logan as he was being thrown a little over four hundred years into the future. He and a few of his brothers have come to this time to continue their quest in ridding the world of the evil Deirdre. He also has to find one of his missing brother Warriors.

Gwynn happens to be in the same area of Scotland as Logan. She’s looking for her father. He has been missing for close to three weeks. Logan immediately senses that Gwynn is more than what she believes herself to be. Part of Logan’s mission in life is to protect the Druid’s. He tries to convince himself he is merely protecting her, that he isn’t good enough for her, he fails. His failure in the lies he tells himself makes for a really sweet romance.

The pertinent information and happenings from the six DarkSword books is retold in a very smooth manner. It is through Logan and Gwynn’s conversations that new Donna readers find out key events from the other books. I liked this. It worked well for me and did not ever feel like rehashing. Logan has to give Gwynn the details of her history and heritage, it just happens to be the Druid and Warrior history from the other books.

Logan and Gwynn eventually team up with the Warriors and Druids from the other series. They are immortal after all and have been waiting for their friends to return to them. This is a great group of characters. I liked their personalities and what they contributed to the team. They all have a like goal when it comes to ridding the world of the evil Deirdre. I read many series books, I like to know what past couples are up to, so this is a boon for Donna’s Dark Sword fans.

All good books need a despicable villain or villains. I really liked Deirdre and Declan. They are evil, they have an even bigger evil backing them and giving them power. I also love to get sections of a book told from the villain’s point of view. I enjoy knowing some of what is going on in their heads, what their twisted and convoluted reasons for the things they do. Donna delivers on this front.

All is all this is an awesome book. I’m looking forward to where the series is going. I can’t wait to see what evils Deidre and Declan have planned in future books. A new Druid female was introduced towards the end. She has a very interesting ability. So if you ever thought about giving Donna a try and like me just don’t care for historicals go get this book. It is a wonder book that will immediately draw you into her world of immortal Warriors, magical Druids and the evil woman that wants to rule the world.



No comments:

Post a Comment