Monday, January 2, 2012

Review: Dead of Night by Jonathan Maberry


Paperback, 358 pages
Published October 25th 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin
ISBN 13: 9780312552190
Source: Purchased for self
Genre: Zombie Apocalypse
Stars: 4

Officer Dez Fox has probably moved close to the top of my favorite book heroines. She is severely damaged, needs fifty plus years of therapy to make her semi sane, and the regularity at which she uses the f-bomb is awesome. She is my favorite character in this book. That statement says a lot. Dead of Night is overflowing with great characters. It’s probably a combination of fantastic characters that any reader will enjoy following and the superb way that Maberry wrote them.

The thing I enjoyed most about Dead of Night was the multiple points of view. The shifts in points of view are differentiated by chapter. There are numerous chapters, but I was never confused about the point of view shift. The various different perspectives of all of the happenings in Stebbins were fantastic. The readers get to see the fall of a town through the eyes of the local law enforcement, the National Guard, the president, the individuals responsible for this mess and many others. I loved that about this book. This also allowed for the various thoughts and ideas behind all the why’s and how’s.

I’ve read somewhere (can’t find it now) that this is the first in a series. I cannot find any information on that now. The end wraps up in a manner that the readers are given closure to many things, but Maberry gives the readers a little something that would leave a door open for another book. I enjoyed this book, so I would read another in this series if there is one and I will most definitely read more books from this author.

The reason for the 4 star, it took me over fifty pages to really get into the book. The multiple points of view had me trying to figure out where the book was going. I like for whatever I am reading to grab me from the very beginning. The book does have a fast pace, so those pages moved me into total captivation zone quickly. 

1 comment:

  1. He is not sure if this is going to be a series--it was sold as a stand alone.

    I am HOPING that it is a series cause I *LOVED IT*---it combined my two favorite scaries: serial killers and zombies LOL :)

    ReplyDelete