Monday, October 31, 2011

Review: A Soul To Steal by Rob Blackwell

By: Rob Blackwell



Kindle Edition
Published August 29th 2011 by Rob Blackwell
ASIN: B005JVEXX0
Source: Author for the purpose of an honest review
Genre: Horror
Stars: 4
Flames: 2

                This is a very creepy read. Blackwell has woven a Celtic myth, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, and a serial killer’s rampage into a great novel. The who done it factor was great. I never guessed it. I had quite a few suspects in mind but never the one that was responsible for the murders. I liked that not only was my attention constantly on who is the serial killer and they why’s behind that aspect, I was constantly trying to figure out what role the Headless Horseman, the Prince of Sanheim, and  Quinn and Kate’s dreams had in the grand scheme of things. Whoa, when everything came together and all the pieces finally fell into to place I was completely shocked. I like to read a book where I am completely taken by surprise.

                Kate and Quinn are both reporters for the Loudoun Chronicle. The newspaper’s publisher and editor and the local police are trying to deny to the local population that there is even the possibility of a serial killer. The bodies keep turning up. The serial killers signature post it notes keeps popping up at crime scenes. This is all happening during the month of October and the psychopath refers to himself as Lord Halloween. The days until Halloween are dwindling down and no one seems to know who the killer is. Quinn and Kate’s personal demons are depriving them of sleep with the relentless dreams. They both know that they are targets on the serial killers list. This was a fast paced page turner. There was so much going on I had a difficult time putting this book down. I was so curious to how all the events and the players would fall into place.

                The ending was fantastic. The way the killer’s own habit affected what happened to him in the end was such sweet justice. The authors note at the end of the novel states that this is first in Kate and Quinn’s trilogy. I am looking forward to where Blackwell will take these two. A Soul to Steal also had a very unexpected bit of romance to it. I was expecting the mystery and the suspense in this horror, but never a romantic aspect.   

1 comment:

  1. I am going to read this sometime this week! I think it will be fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete