Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Author Interview: Andrew Grey


I would like to thank Andrew Grey, who has cruised through today for an interview. I had the pleasure of meeting Andrew at Authors After Dark in Philly this past August.


Vanessa: Would you like to start off by telling us a little bit about yourself?  
Andrew: I live in Central Pennsylvania with my partner of 17 years.  I’ve been writing since early 2007 and have written and published over three dozen works of gay romantic fiction.   I attend at least three different conventions and events a year and love to meet readers.   I love to garden and my partner and I collect antiques.   

Vanessa: What is one thing about you that your readers would find surprising or never guess about you?  
Andrew: I guess that before four years ago, I had never written a thing.  In fact I had no interest in writing until I sat down and gave it a try. Now I can’t stop.

Vanessa: If you were to write yourself into one of your books which one would it be and what role would you have?  
Andrew: I would love to write myself into Love Means… No Boundaries.  Robbie is one of my favorite characters and I would love to be Joey and have him fall in love with me.  J



Vanessa: I saw on your website that you have several series. Would you like to tell us a bit about them?   
Andrew: The Farm series takes place around a farm in Michigan where I grew up.  These stories are pastoral in nature, but with some of the most amazing characters I’ve ever written.  They also have the only Amish characters I’ve ever written.

The Bottled Up series takes place largely around a wine store in Milwaukee.  These stories started because I was inspired by my brother’s wine store opening.    There will be at least three more stories in this series, Legal Artistry, Artistic Appeal, and Artistic Pursuits which I recently finished.  The later books have moved away from the wine store scene, but many of the characters make an appearance.

The Workout series takes place around the gym I use outside Harrisburg.  All the stories are rather sexy and center around really hunky men.  One of the themes I love to use in this series is the fact that beauty is only skin deep.  So it’s often the shy quiet, mousy guy that gets the hunk.

The Satyr series is a bit of modern fantasy set in northern Michigan around a small community of satyrs.   In the stories, they form and build the community so they can have a small piece of the world where they can be safe.  In these books, being gay is generally no big deal.  But if a satyr trusts you enough to reveal himself, that’s the metaphor for the coming out process.

The Range series is my western series and the Love series is set around a Belgian restaurant in Carlisle Pennsylvania.  These stories were inspired by my partner who was a pastry chef for many years.  Dominic says love with food, so I wrote these stories for him.

Vanessa: Out of all of your writing which one of your books stands out as your favorite and why? 
Andrew: My absolute favorite is Seven Days.  That story came to me while I was writing something else and the characters have stayed with me for almost a year.  It’s like they wormed their way into my heart and I can’t let go of them.  They don’t have more to tell me, but they always seem to be right with me.


Vanessa: Do you have a favorite series that you enjoy reading?  
Andrew: I love writing the Love Means… series.  Those stories are pastoral and I go there when I need peace and quiet.  For me they’re veru nostalgic because I set the series right near where I grew up, in fact, the house where Joey and his mother live is the house I grew up in.  Many of the places in the series are real.

Vanessa: What inspired you to write Satyrs?
Andrew: I have a nineteenth century bronze of a satyr in my dining room and at Thanksgiving one year I decided to try telling his story and I really enjoyed it.  Writing fantasy was very liberating because I got to make up all the rules. 

Vanessa: How many books do you plan to include in your Satyr series?
Andrew: The satyr series is complete.  There are three novels, two novellas, and some short stories. My satyrs are happy and I intend to leave them that way.

Vanessa: If you could have a romantic dinner with one of your characters who would it be and why?
Andrew: I think I would love to have a romantic dinner with Dieter from Legal Artistry.  He has so much energy and throws himself fully into everything he does.  There’s a simple innocence and naiveté about him that makes him completely endearing and I can see him planning the entire meal as well as a very intricate and surprisingly passionate seduction afterwards.


Vanessa: How did you celebrate the publishing of your first book?  
Andrew: I took my partner out for a nice dinner and then we went home to bed. Not very big, but definitely special.

Vanessa: Can you tell us about your current work in progress?  
Andrew: Right now I’m working on a story called A Helping of Love.  It’s the follow up to A Taste of Love and A Serving of Love and centers around the opening of a new Greek restaurant in Carlisle PA.   During the story one of my characters finds the courage to extricate himself from an abusive relationship while the other is working through a surprise revelation that he has a half-sister he never knew about.  I can guarantee plenty of love, emotion, and an unexpected twist.

Vanessa: I know you recently attended Authors After Dark Philly. Are you attending any other conventions this year?  
Andrew: Yes, I will be at Yaoicon in San Francisco in late October.  I usually attend three or four conventions a year as well as a few pride fests.

No comments:

Post a Comment