Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Review: Blood Bonds by Adrienne Wilder


eBook~126,000 words
Published September 2010 by Liquid Silver Books
ISBN 13: 9781595787521
Genre: Dark Paranormal (Shifter)
Stars: 5
Flames: 5

                This book both shocked and amazed me. I LOVE the world that Wilder created for her Kin (dragons.) This book is so different and so unique in everything that you are left craving more of this complex world and all of its characters. This book will suck any reader in from page 1 and leave you wanting more at the words “the end.” This book has some very graphic feeding scenes, erotically hot sex, mild male on male sexual moments and dragon tearing apart another dragon in some intense fighting.  The draconian culture is so different from what the humans believe is normal behavior it adds the perfect amount of human/dragon conflict to the story. The ending had me completely surprised. I honestly never saw it happening.
                “Food,” I LOVE how this word is used in this story. Kin must feed on flesh and blood, and metaphysical energy to survive. The majority of the time when that word is used in this book it is referring to a live bi-pedal being of flesh and blood. There are various forms of food. Farley is food. He is a smaller, weaker Kin that figured out very early on in life that to survive he must submit to the dominant that are higher up on the food chain. But is he really weaker? He is a very surprising character. I loved his relationship with Haley. Haley was raised among humans. She is belittled by this (among her kind, Kin) and often referred to as a domesticated dragon. Farley has always been her “food” source.  Haley and Farley work together with a human law enforcement group, Center of Folk and Kin Relations. Her current case sends her into the Den’s she was never allowed to be a part of and into the middle of a prophecy of biblical proportions.
                While reading this book I highly recommend having your computer near. Wilder’s website has her glossary list and character illustrations on it. I am new to the Kindle and had some issues going from the page I was reading to the glossary. I am sure there is an easy way to do this, I just don’t know it. You do not have to flip to the glossary to understand this book. When one of the terms that is specific to this world is used it is ether explained, or as a reader you understand the word from the context of what you are reading. I am just one of those people who will over use a glossary if it is present. I really enjoyed seeing the characters illustrations too. Wilder is an AMAZING artist. It was nice to be able to put a face or physical dragon image to the character I was reading.
                I loved this book, loved the authors writing and creative genius. I will definitely read more by her. I hope to read more of her books very soon. I enjoyed this book and the world that it was set in. I also learned while cruising around on Wilder’s website that her Darwin's Theory series books take place in this same Dragon inhabited Atlanta. I hate to say this but I am happy that my friend Alycia does not have an eReader. She won the first two books in that series last week. She has put them on my Kindle so she can read them. Yay! I get to read more of this world. 


3 comments:

  1. Great review! Thanks for stopping by my blog today!
    Book Savvy Babe

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds really different. I don't think I understand the world and that intrigues me. Great review.
    I went by the authors blog and checked out her art too, which is unusal for a writer to be that good of an artist as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really did have a great reading week! I put this on my Amazon Wishlist!

    ReplyDelete