Monday, May 16, 2011

Review: Chosen by Blood by: Virna DePaul


Paperback, 384 pages
Publication Date: May 3rd 2011 by BERKLEY
ISBN13: 9780425241547
Series: Para-Ops, #1
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Source: Purchased for self
Stars: 4
Flames: 4
               
This is a great start to a new series. I love the worlds where the human and paranormal beings or in this book the Otherborn live amongst each other knowingly. Humans living among the Otherborn adds another tension to the book that allows for plenty of conflict from multiple places and just good reading material. I enjoyed all the characters. I am looking forward to the future book in this series. I loved the concept of the FBI putting together the Para-Ops team consisting of various Otherborn beings and humans for the better good of the world. The combination of all of these elements allows for action, fighting, conspiracy, and turmoil on many fronts. Once you take into consideration that there are sexy vamps, weres and humans about to add to the romance of the book this is an all-around great book.

Felicia and Knox have a very complicated history. Vampires and humans have very different beliefs and live very different lives, this just adds to the tension and conflict between these two characters. The readers know from the beginning of the book that they are very much in love with each other, although some of the why’s is left unanswered. (That brought down the rating a little for me) For them to be together happily they will both have to sacrifice some of their beliefs and personal wants. Once Felicia finally caves to her and Knox’s desire for one another they heat up the pages. Between the steamy sex and the action and fighting the pages move rather quickly from one to the next.

I was left with a couple of unanswered questions. I am going to believe that they will be answered in the following books, as this is an ongoing series. The ending did feel just a tiny bit rushed to me. Some of the who are involved pieces seemed a little predictable. Although at the end the readers are given a glimpse of the big evil, the Quorum and some of what their motives are. The readers are also given the knowledge that someone who is close to our main characters is involved with the Quorum. I do hope he is trying to learn more about them and not a part of them. I, along with everyone else will have to wait for the next book to find out the details.  

I am also very excited about this being one of the numerous fabulous authors that I will have the opportunity to meet at the Readers and Authors Get Together in Cincinnati Ohio on June 3, 4, and 5. I will get a little author stalking in that weekend. Yay for stalking!

3 comments:

  1. Good review! I got to review this one for Romance Reviews Today, and I'm excited to see Virna at the Reader/Author Get Together!

    I'm interested in seeing how she manages to wrap up everything in the next book(s).. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long!

    ~ Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Amanda. Great review. I'm interested to check this series out as I'd never heard of it before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great review!! I'm looking forward to seeing you and Amanda in Ohio!! Take care! V

    ReplyDelete